Friday, June 1, 2018

“Definitive” guide to running your best 10K

Welcome to one of a thousand or more blogs telling you how to run your best 10K. I’ll be honest, there’s so much contradictory advice from”experts” that some of them must be wrong. My conclusion is that all are wrong! We all have different bodies, schedules and different things work for different people. If you read my last blog you will have seen how I ran the imperfect race to a miserable 10K. However, I had one more chance...Silverstone 10K.

I was determined not to let that race become a failure but to become a launchpad for a new PB. I wrote out my training plan and went for it. If only it was as simple as that. My training plan was one I downloaded and it made me miserable! It all came to a head for me at a parkrun at Great Linford. Determined to run a PB I flagged badly and ran my worst 5k of the year. Something had to change so with the help of a wise and experienced friend I decided that I’d do 10 miles every Saturday to build some stamina into my legs and then vary some speed work in the week between pyramids, fartleks and tempo runs.

I wasn’t in 100% top condition due to a slight adductor strain from a race a few days before (more about that another time!) but I was taped up and ready to go. This time I stuck to my plan and ran 6 individual splits which had 5 seconds between fastest and slowest and then a sprint for the end. I finished in a bog standard time of 48:35 which was nearly 30 seconds quicker than my PB. Bog standard in general terms but you’re only ever out to beat yourself (and the person directly in front of you!) so I was chuffed. Do I believe I can go quicker? Absolutely. But the difference between Silverstone 10K and Festival of Running 10K was simple. I stuck to MY plan. Reading 10K guides are great and take lots of tips but find out what works for you and what motivates you.

For me:
  1. 10 miles every Saturday to build stamina into your legs
  2. 1x speed workout per week varying between pyramids, fartleks and temp runs

No comments:

Post a Comment